Learning at Balcarras
Our curriculum is rigorous, exciting and balanced, with the national curriculum at its core. It will is underpinned by the school values:
Everyone associated with the school will:
- Strive for excellence and encourage resilience
- Participate, work together, and contribute positively to the community
- Expand our horizons
The organisation of the curriculum and our approach to teaching and learning allows every child to flourish. We believe that our curriculum should inspire pupils to become curious, confident, independent thinkers who go on to be happy and successful in society.
Our curriculum is transformational, equipping our students, regardless of their starting point, with a wide range of knowledge and skills, enabling them to fulfil their potential and realise their ambitions.
The curriculum aims to:
- be broad, balanced and relevant, developing all the essential knowledge, understanding and skills, regardless of gender, ability, ethnicity or social background
- ensure equal access to learning for all pupils, with high expectations for every pupil and appropriate levels of challenge and support
- encourage students to enjoy their learning and get a sense of success through their achievements
- foster literacy and numeracy skills across subjects
- foster scientific, technical, cultural and sporting achievement
- support pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- support pupils’ physical development and responsibility for their own health, and enable them to be active
- generate a wealth of cross-curricular activities including events, clubs, performances and trips which will be open to all
- equip pupils with the knowledge and cultural capital they need to contribute positively to their community
- promote British values, including the rule of law, democracy and individual liberty. We will instil in students the importance of tolerance, fair play, honesty and a generosity of spirit
- prepare students for the next stage in their lives by encouraging resilience, self-reliance and an understanding of their responsibility to take ownership of their own learning
For more information on the organisation of the curriculum here at Balcarras please click here to see our curriculum policy.
For information on how the curriculum in each subject is organised and taught please see the subject specific page in this section.