Places for School Direct training are now closed for 2017.
We will be recruiting for September 2018 from the end of October 2017.
We will be holding a School Direct/ Teacher Taster day on Wednesday 27th September 2017.
If you would like to book onto the open day please complete the application form here and send to email@example.com
We have been allocated places in English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Modern Languages, Geography and History.
Balcarras will work with GITEP, the Gloucestershire Initial Teacher Education Programme, to ensure that we provide each person recruited with the best training possible.
To qualify for the scheme you should be a graduate (preferably 1st or 2:1)
- English – you would need a degree in English
- Maths – you would need a degree in maths or engineering
- Physics - you would need a degree in physics or engineering
- Chemistry - you would need a degree in chemistry, forensic science or biochemistry
- MFL (we do French, Spanish and Russian but might be able to accommodate Italian or German as well) – you would need a degree in the appropriate language
- Geography – you would need a degree in geography
- History – you would need a degree in history
Please peruse our website and that of School Direct (click here)- we would be pleased to answer any queries you might have as well – you can contact Mrs Becky Atkin, our Training Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Then if you wish to apply please complete the application form on the UCAS Teacher Training website www.ucas.com/apply/teacher-training We will then arrange interviews and email you directly to let you know about the interview process.
School Direct costs £8000 for QTS and £9000 for PGCE. There are bursaries of up to £25,000 available and scholarships up to £30,000. For more information about bursaries please click here to go to www.education.gov.uk. If you have questions regarding bursaries and your eligibility for the course then please contact the GITEP office at email@example.com or their number is 0845 0779005.
We look forward to hearing from you.
School Direct 2017-18
Balcarras was one of the pilot schools to be part of the School Direct programme, which started training teacher in September 2012.
Our 2016-17 cohort of seven School Direct trainees have just completed their training and six have secured jobs. They have particularly liked that they were in school from the first day and got to see the beginning of the school year for teachers and pupils. This has really helped them to feel that they are really valued members of the school. The subject mentors in each of the subjects have really appreciated that this year – for the first time ever - they are training teachers that they themselves have recruited onto the training programme.
The GITEP course had an Ofsted inspection in 2015 and was graded as Outstanding. Balcarras school was involved in the inspection.
Inspectors noted in the report that “a key strength of the partnership is the sustained commitment to outstanding teacher training led by partnership school leaders and managers”. The outstanding quality of teaching inspectors saw from trainees and newly qualified teachers showed “skilled management of students’ behaviour by trainees and NQTs, underpinned by captivating lessons that engage and motivate students.” Inspectors also found that “trainees and NQTs really enjoy teaching”.
The interview process
The interview process at Balcarras is:
- Meet our head teacher, Mr Dominic Burke, on arrival
- Tour of the school by pupils
- Teach a 15 minute lesson on a particular aspect of your subject – which you would be given at least a week before the interview – this would be observed by one of our 3 training managers and someone from the relevant department
- One interview–with a training manager, the head of the relevant department and the course leader for School Direct
- Written tasks - A short literacy and numeracy test and a task to check your subject knowledge
This is a rigorous process but we want to choose the best candidates to train at Balcarras. We want prospective teachers who are enthusiastic and passionate about their subject, committed to a career in teaching and ready to face the challenges of the training year.